he Prostatic Urethral Lift (PUL) procedure using the Urolift device.
The Urolift device is the very latest non-invasive approach to treating symptomatic BPH. The device lifts or holds the enlarged prostate tissue out of the way so that it no longer blocks the urethra. There is no cutting, heating or removal of prostate tissue. Clinical data has shown that the UroLift System is safe and effective in relieving lower urinary tract symptoms due to BPH. Neil Barber was national lead for pan-European multi-centred study evaluating this exciting new treatment and therefore an early user and a UK authority on the PUL procedure. He is registered as a proctor and teaches other surgeons how to perform the procedure both in the UK and Europe.
The major advantages of the PUL using the Urolift device are:
- It does not compromise sexual function – complete maintenance of normal ejaculation and sensation on ejaculation as well as no deterioration of erectile function
- It works immediately; no 3 month delay as with standard surgery – patients often describing improvements in 1 – 3 weeks
- A general anaesthetic may be avoided – a procedure under local anaesthetic alone is increasingly common
- Typically no urinary catheter is required
- Rapid discharge from hospital within hours of the procedure
- A rapid return to normal activities including work in days rather than weeks and months as may be the case after standard surgery.
Neil Barber provides his thoughts on the Urolift procedure on this short video
This video is an introduction to the Urolift procedure and the benefits for patients
Please visit our dedicated Urolift site for more information and an animation of the procedure and how it works